When the Studebaker Corporation and the Packard Motor Car Company joined forces in the fall of 1954, the newly-formed Studebaker-Packard Corporation aimed to become America’s fourth full-line automobile manufacturer and compete head-to-head with Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler. This goal ultimately went unfulfilled, as Studebaker-Packard struggled for survival amidst financial pressures, consumer skepticism, and increased competition.
A positive outcome of the merger was the addition of several new vehicles into the corporate historic vehicle collection: A 1901 Packard Model C, a 1910 Model 18 Touring Car, and the Packard Predictor show car. These vehicles remained with Studebaker through the company’s departure from automobile production in 1966, and were given to the City of South Bend later that year with the rest of the Studebaker Corporation’s collection.
The Predictor underwent restoration in the early 1990s and has appeared at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, and numerous others. The 1901 is currently undergoing restoration, and the 1910 Packard remains in unrestored condition.
ABOUT THE STUDEBAKER’S PACKARD SERIES
Studebaker’s Packards: The Corporate Collection was on display at the Museum in 2017. This series of articles comes for the displays from that exhibition.